Thursday 10 February 2011

5th February 2011 - 6 Weeks

During the week we have spoken a lot about when to tell our families. My husband recently lost his Nan, who was the centre of the whole family, her funeral was yesterday (the 4th) so we thought our good news might be just what everyone needed.

But so many people wait until the 12 week mark to spread the news. It was a tough decision, because it meant telling my family too - as it wouldn't have been fair them. And just hope that no-one blabs!

But to reassure us (me mostly) I found out that I could have an early viability scan from 6 weeks - so we booked this for the morning of the 5th. I turned up with a full bladder. Nervous already about how the sonographer would react to my size. At first she attempted the normal scan on top of my belly - I had suspected this would be a waste of time and it was. She tried nudging my belly up which felt so embarrassing. She didn't say anything but I got the feeling she wasn't too happy about it either. After emptying my bladder (phew!) she then attempted the internal (TV) scan. I have had one of these previously for a polyp so I knew what to expect - it isn't as bad as you might think.

So she popped it in and my husband and I craned our necks to see our baby on the screen, but we didn't. After what felt like hours of her waving the wand around inside me I asked her if everything was alright. She didn't say yes or no, but instead asked my if my cycle was regular. Which it was. She then said I was difficult to scan. Now I don't know whether this was her commenting on my weight, but I assumed that if she was scanning me from the inside the flubber wouldn't be an issue?

Eventually she stopped on a very fuzzy looking squashed oval which was ever so slightly darker than the grey fuzz on the screen. She said that was the gestational sac, but she couldn't detect a baby inside it. Straight away I assumed the worst, she did say that I should come back in two weeks to try again (without charge) to see if anything has changed. She also gave me the great news than I have a 3.5cm cyst on one of my ovaries - so that might have been why I have had some pain on one side. I think the lady saw my panic and said to come back in a week instead. In the car I read the paperwork which said the sac measure 5 to 6 weeks.

My husband still wanted to tell his family, but I felt like a fraud and kept saying that it's early days so don't get too excited. Once we got home I spent hours looking at other scans of this date range and to my relief many others were empty at this stage, and the cyst was actually a sign of pregnancy which may go away naturally. But until I see a flickering heartbeat I can't fully acknowledge that I am pregnant. It's astounding how many things can go wrong, and how many things there are to worry about.

Here are my measurements for this week -

Bust - 53 inches (+1.5)
Waist - 48.5 (+1.5)
Hips - 57 (+1)
Weight - +2.2kg

Not happy about the weight but feel a lot of it may be down to water retention as I feel quite bloated and puffy.

Symptoms

  • thirsty
  • bloated (so much so that in the evenings I cannot bear to have anything around my waist)
  • a few spots
  • very sensitive nipples
  • firmer larger boobs
  • bad hair
  • fast growing nails

No comments:

Post a Comment