Tuesday 11 October 2011

11th October 2011 - 41 weeks

Late posting as usual - and still pregnant!!! I am now 41 + 3. How do I feel about this? Surprisingly calm, but mostly because I am delaying the pain. As much as I know I have a baby inside me, my son, my first child, I feel like I am avoiding the inevitable at the moment and am happy to put of D Day for as long as possible. I am very scared of the pain and how I will cope with it.

This fear has been elevated since visiting my consultant last week. She decided to perform a sweep - I was expecting this, and happy to go ahead - despite the embarrassment factor. I went with the Hubby, and glad I did as it was NOT a good experience. I knew it would be uncomfortable, what I didn't expect was for it to be one of the single most painful experiences of my life (so far). She brought in a Midwife for distraction purposes - which I thought was a joke at first. It wasn't, and she didn't distract me. She didn't really explain what she was going to do, in fact I think she thought the hit and run approach was best but it shocked the life out of me. At first it felt as if she were using a giant speculum with sharp bits on - but it was her hand. It was so roughly done - I'm sure it could have been less traumatic.

I was booked in for an induction date afterwards, and hardly remember anything the midwife said to me as I was in shock. I had to drive myself home afterwards as we had taken separate cars, I don't know how I did it. It took me a couple of days to get over it, and made me realise just how much pain I am in for. The sweep didn't work, even though I was 2cm dilated, so today I went back to my regular midwife and had another sweep - this hurt alot too - especially as she had sharp finger nails!! But I knew what to expect and we've tried everything else in the past week to oust this little fella. I really want to avoid being induced (I'm booked in for Thursday) as I've heard in can be even more painful than normal labour - but I just need to get him out now as I'm getting worried about him being in there too long, and everyone is getting really impatient - not to mention the husband - who thinks I am stalling!! Like I have a choice!!

Who knows - after the sweep this afternoon (still 2cm) things may happen tonight. And tomorrow is a full moon - which is also supposed to increase the delivery rate. Will miss my bump I think - especially as it is only a recent development. Won't miss the pain in my pelvis though and not being able to sleep on my front or back. I guess it all depends what happens at the birth - I may be in even more pain afterwards!!

Here are my measurements for the week -

Bust - 52 inches (-0.5)
Waist - 52 inches (-0.5)
Hips - 56.5 inches (-0.5)
Weight - no change from last week 


Symptoms
  • emotional (still!)
  • random aches and pains - some sciatic pain in left hip
  • dry lips
  • some dizziness
  • painful aching in my pelvic area - especially around the pubic bone
  • heartburn
  • crazy dreams
Here are the last shots (perhaps?) - 

41 weeks side view

41 weeks plan view

1 comment:

  1. I've been following your blog for a while. Please let us know that you're okay.

    ReplyDelete